Vineyard Manager, Santa Rita Hills / Los Alamos Vineyards (Jackson Family Wines)
TITLE:Vineyard Manager, Santa Rita Hills / Los Alamos Vineyards
REPORTS TO:Director of Farming JFW
LOCATION: Santa Rita Hills, Los Alamos, CA
General Description of Duties:
Under general supervision, manages, supervises and coordinates all farming activities for vineyards currently managed by Jackson Family Wines as well as any future vineyard developments. Assignments involve the planning, supervision and execution of general vineyard management work requiring broad skills and knowledge in the areas of land preparation, reservoir, irrigation and trellis system installation, plant selection, planting, grafting and establishment, equipment selection, operation and maintenance, pruning, irrigation management, crop forecasting, chemical applications, disease and pest control, cultivation and canopy management, harvest along with budgets and forecasts.
- Responsible for the cost-effective management of ultra-premium wine grape vineyards – Los Alamos and Santa Rita Hills production farming. Main varietals include Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
- Directs an internal full-time workforce of Supervisors, irrigation and equipment operators as well as several seasonal crews by providing guidance on farming needs working with Labor Contractor Supervisors for the seasonal activities for farming.
- Coordinates vineyard activities of Assistant vineyard managers, supervisors, shop/maintenance, and other related personnel.
- Monitors the crop for insect and disease pressure, plans and implements all fungicide, pesticide and irrigation programs, and keeps accurate record of pesticide and chemical usage and inventories.
- Coordinates with the winemaking staff regarding all elite viticultural practices and harvest decisions.
- Maintains accurate records of daily events and work schedules.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual capital expenditure and operating expense budgets and monthly reviews.
- Reviews all expenditures to insure that all operations are within budgetary parameters.
- Insures that adequate security systems and measures are in place at all properties.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations. Enforce adherence of employee safety training programs and assists in the prevention and resolution of worker compensation cases.
- Coordinates with viticulturists and engineers in preparing and executing all development and replanting plans.
- Special projects.
Permanent full-time salaried position with full benefits.
Immediate Team Members:
Vineyard Supervisors, Shop Supervisor, Vineyard Foreman, Accounts Payable.
Experience and Training:
Degree in Viticulture or related field is required. A minimum of five years of direct experience in vineyard management development is required. Strong communication, budgeting and computer skills are essential, and a PCA license and proficiency in Spanish are highly desirable. This position requires excellent communication, planning and organizational skills as well as the ability to work as a team player.